Approximately every minute, someone slips and falls in the U.S. Some slip and fall accidents result in serious injuries or fatalities.
If you believe that someone else’s negligence led to your injuries in a slip and fall accident, contact an experienced lawyer. Peter Dyson, personal injury attorney, and the skilled legal team of Dyson Law can help you seek compensation for your injuries.
Learn more about the steps you should take after a slip and fall incident below:
1. Report the Accident
If your accident took place on someone else’s property, you may consider pursuing a premises liability case. To build a strong case, you should submit an accident report or notify the person in charge, such as a manager, landlord, or owner, as soon as possible after the accident. If you don’t report the incident immediately, unscrupulous property owners may try to relieve themselves of any liability. For example, they may deny that you were even there at the time of the accident.
If you are unable to make a report, ask someone else, like a family member, to report the accident on your behalf.
2. Keep a Record
Try not to get upset if the person you talk to gets defensive or denies that your accident may have had anything to do with the conditions on the property. Stay calm, state the facts, and keep a record of your conversation with the property owner or manager. This record may also serve as an important part of your slip and fall case.
If you slipped and fell on the job, you may be able to collect workers’ compensation. However, if you believe your accident occurred because of your employer’s negligence, you may choose to pursue a slip and fall lawsuit in addition to your workers’ comp claim.
3. Gather Evidence
After a slip and fall accident, you should:
- Take multiple photos and videos of the accident scene, especially the details that contributed to your slip and fall incident (wet floor, uneven flooring, broken handrail, etc.). Collect this evidence quickly before the liable party can correct the problem and claim it was never there.
- Note down the names and contact details of any witnesses present on the scene. You could even ask them to record a brief video statement on the spot.
- Write down all the accident details, including the exact date, time, and circumstances.
4. Provide Frame of Reference
An important tip: when you take a photo, provide a reference object for size comparison. For example, if you tripped over a crack in a floor, you can place a pen next to the crack so it’s easier to evaluate how big the crack was.
5. Contact a Slip and Fall Accident Lawyer Right Away
We strongly recommend contacting an experienced slip and fall attorney immediately after your accident. While Florida’s statute of limitations gives you four years to file a personal injury claim, receiving compensation will be much easier if you start working on your case right away.
Quick action makes it possible to collect relevant evidence and build a strong claim. Specifically, if a security camera recorded your accident, the video record will likely get deleted automatically within a predetermined time frame. A slip and fall lawyer can send an official letter on your behalf to preserve the video record, which can play a vital role in your case.
Dyson Law: Slip-and-Fall Attorney in Delray Beach, FL
The slip and fall lawyer you work with may make a tremendous difference in the outcome of your case. At Dyson Law, we have a stellar track record of helping slip and fall accident victims collect compensation for their injuries.
Here is why clients choose Dyson Law for slip and fall cases in Delray Beach, West Palm Beach, Miami, and Fort Lauderdale:
- Success rate. Our legal team has recovered millions in personal injury cases across South Florida.
- Value. You shoulder no upfront costs — you only pay us when we win your case or reach a settlement.
- Personal Service. We are a boutique law firm, which allows us to give full attention to your slip and fall case.
- Dedication. Whether you decide to accept a settlement or pursue a trial, Dyson Law has your back. We combine aggressive representation with a compassionate approach.
- Communication. We keep you in the loop and answer any questions that may arise about your case.
Did you suffer a slip and fall accident? Depending on the extent of your injuries, you may face overwhelming medical bills, missed days at work, and long-lasting health consequences. To maximize your chances of receiving fair compensation, call a seasoned Florida lawyer for slip and fall claims and lawsuits.
To book a free consultation with a lawyer for slip and fall claims, call (561) 498-9979 or fill out our online form.
Copyright © 2022. Dyson Law, PLLC. All rights reserved.
The information in this blog post (“post”) is provided for general informational purposes only and may not reflect the current law in your jurisdiction. No information in this post should be construed as legal advice from the individual author or the law firm, nor is it intended to be a substitute for legal counsel on any subject matter. No reader of this post should act or refrain from acting based on any information included in or accessible through this post without seeking the appropriate legal or other professional advice on the particular facts and circumstances at issue from a lawyer licensed in the recipient’s state, country or other appropriate licensing jurisdiction.
Dyson Law, PLLC
15300 Jog Rd STE 103
Delray Beach, FL 33446